Mumbles Pier was built and opened to the public in 1898. It was the terminus for the Mumbles Railway and the terminal for P & A Campbell Co Ltd white funnel ferryboats.
Adeiladwyd ac agorwyd Pier y Mwmbwls i’r cyhoedd ym 1898. Dyma oedd terfynfa Rheilffordd y Mwmbwls a’r derfynfa ar gyfer cychod fferi corn mwg gwyn P & A Campbell Co Ltd.
Swansea Mumbles Railway was the first passenger carrying railway in the world. Act of Parliament 1804 and started to transport passengers on 25th March 1807. The original coach was drawn by a single horse along railway tracks that went from Rutland Street, Swansea (now the site of St David’s car park) and travelled as far as Oystermouth Square.
Throughout it’s existence it used many modes of power from being a single horse drawn carriage to a double horse drawn carriage, steam powered trains and finally an electric tram construction. In 1877 steam locomotives were used for the first time along the sea front of Swansea Bay, pulling carriages packed with residents and tourists from Swansea and far afield.
The line was extended as far as the the Mumbles Pier and these shunting engines would only ever face one way as there was never a turntable. On 6th July 1928 trials started on the electrification of the railway and spacial tram carriages were designed to carry 212 passengers per carriage.
These carriages could be coupled together in pairs carrying up to 424 passengers per trip. The carriages were designed with the doors only on one side of the carriage facing Mumbles Road, there was no need of doors on the beach side, this made the tram cars quite unique in design.
Mumbles Pier opened to the public on 10th May 1898 at a cost of £10,000 this was the terminus for the Mumbles Railway and also the terminal for the White Funnel paddle steamers of P&A Campbell Co Ltd. Mumbles Lifeboat station was built on the Pier 1888 and then enlarged for a bigger boat in 1897 with a new slipway for launching.